[mythtv-users] TIVO and cablecard ?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Feb 4 01:39:28 UTC 2010

On 2/3/2010 7:14 PM, Misc Things wrote:

> So returning to the implicit question that i had in mind when i asked
> the original question - so then why do i want to bother with mythtv if @
> the end i'm getting much less functionality then (even from ) TIVO - i
> can't recprd multiple channels, can''t switch channels, can't get rid of
> the STBs ...

I have an old series 1 TiVo, so I don't know the current software features, can it:

Support Ripping and storing personal Music Library?
Rip and Store personal DVD Library or movies purchased online?
What about NetFlix Support?
Online Web Surfing?
Play MAME games?
Support a single storage backend with multiple frontends?

Keep in mind while you may have to keep using an STB, that's only for encrypted channels. Maybe there's nothing else to watch locally except on channels that are encrypted. Not the case for me. So YMMV.

Hey! And your myth box can also act as a central server on your network handling DNS and DHCP, Samba with printer setups and all sorts of fun things. :D

I think there's a lot more neato things to do with a MythBox than TiVo supports (and I know it's going to be limited simply because it's a company. Which makes it a target. Which makes Hollywood very interested in getting their fingers involved.)

Cheers,

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net              Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Fortune says:
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was
completely encoded in this tiny MICROCHIP ... It contain 14,768 vaguely
amusing SIT-COM pilots!!  We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled
snack cakes!