[mythtv-users] How to set Active EIT Scan

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:39:49 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 15:21, George <george.news at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/02/2010 14:35, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> On 4 February 2010 11:41, George<george.news at gmx.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is that for a couple of channels (all under the same main
>>> multiplex channel) that the EPG is not retrieved. It is left to Unknown.
>>> I don't know if it is due to expiration date on database or because it is
>>> unable to get it.
>>>
>>> I think is the latter. When trying to watch these problematic channels,
>>> sometimes the system is not able to get the lock on the channel and
>>> others I
>>> get this error:
>>> "Error opening jump program filebuffer"
>>>
>>> Any further idea. What can be the cause of such an error?
>>
>> An inability to tune to a particular mux could indicate borderline
>> signal strength if the mux is broadcast at low power, or that the
>> stored tuning information is not correct.
>>
> The problematic one is the multiplex of the public TV in my country. And I
> get a signal strength of 65% or more, the same or bigger than in the rest.

You could try rescanning the existing multiplex in the channel scanner
to update its channels and see if this improves things, or carry out a
full rescan to update all mux settings. You could also check to make
sure all channels on the bad mux have the 'useonairguide' flag
enabled.

Adding 'channel,record' logging options to the backend logfile might
also provide additional information as to why the backend is not
tuning to these channels correctly.

Outside of MythTV, you can use tzap with a valid channels.conf for
your local transmitter to test whether you can successfully lock to
the channels you are having problems with. If you can tune these
channels, you could use dvbsnoop to see whether you can see the EIT
data.

Cheers,
Nick

--