[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:56:13 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 15:28, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 February 2010 08:11:33 am Travis Tabbal wrote:
>

>> That's pretty much what I was getting at. And even if it works now, there's
>> nothing preventing someone from setting up another WiFi network next door
>> and causing just enough interference to mess up your video streams.
>
> Or a microwave oven, cordless phone, or even a "Mister Microphone" for their
> kids.
>
>> It's
>> great for internet access and such, but for sending 20Mbps HD video streams
>> where packet loss is not acceptable, not so much. And if you have more than
>> one such stream to send.......
>>

> Most people simply do not understand the rules under which WiFi operates, they
> assume that if they purchase a product it will operate as advertised. They
> simply do not read, or understand, "must accept any interference, including
> that which results in undesired operation".
>
> Most consumers are not capable of diagnosing, or even noticing, the horribly
> slow rates they get with WiFi, if they don't see any error messages they
> assume things are working. The system was designed to hide retransmits and
> waits from the users.
>
> At present 802.11a is "better", but more expensive and harder to find,
> certainly not marketed to consumers in the way that b/g/n is.

According to el Wikipedia [1], an 802.11n network gives best
performance when running at 5GHz (as 802.11a does). That should also
help mitigate the problem of a flooded 2.4GHz spectrum if everyone
else around you is running b/g.

Cheers,
Nick "MythTV made me hardwire my entire house for GigE!" Morrott

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n

--
Nick Morrott