[mythtv-users] Frontend Lockups

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:40:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Frank Merrill <fmerrill1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, you are right, I worded it poorly and I shouldn't have used 60Hz
>> as an example, as in reality 1080i is broadcast between 25 and 30
>> frames per second, and the 2X de-interlacers double the frame rate, so
>> a 25fps or 30fps stream would be doubled and require a 50Hz or 60Hz
>> refresh rate.
>> My point was mainly that Advanced 2X requires the display to be able
>> to accept double the frame rate of the input content.
>>

> The TV is a Samsung LN52A650.  It accepts inputs up 1920x1080 @60Hz.  It
> also supports 24Hz input.  I have never gotten a stutter before in playing
> back 1080i material.  I was using the VDPAU High setting.  Last night, I
> lowered it to just VDPAU Normal.  I guess I'll have to see what happens.
> It's just strange that the FE never locks up on MKVs (like blu ray) whether
> I have it using mplayer or Internal.  It's only on recordings.  But the FE
> logs only show that NVP prebuffering pause before a hard lock up.  Is there
> a way I can get more logging on the FE?  I have MythBuntu and it uses the
> /home/user/.config/autostart/myth.desktop to start the FE.  The exact
> command is mythfronted --service.  I have tried adding -v all in there, but
> it didn't do anything.  Should I change the --service to -v all and add the
> -l /home/user/mythfe/log?  Thanks!

I just noticed this in the log you originally sent:
"Video sync method can't support double framerate"

Have you tried disabling OpenGL Videosync?

Also, I didn't notice previously that the problem was content specific.
So, are you comparing apples to apples?
Do the MKVs that you don't have any issues with contain video in the
same format as what your recordings are?
Are they made by you, or did you download them?
Is it possible the videos in the MKV's are in a format that is less
intensive to decode then your recordings?  MKV isn't a format, it's
just a container, so you'd need to see what it is that is really in
the MKVs and compare to what your recordings actually are.
If they are BluRay, that should be 1080p content, which doesn't need
any deinterlacing anyway.

You can probably use something like 'ffmpeg -i <filename>.mpg to get
info on a problem recording, and 'ffmpeg.<filename>.mkv on one of your
mkv's to see the differences.

Not sure any of that is any help in any way, sorry.
Not sure about the logging either, as I never really have a need to
use anything other than the standard logging myself.

Frank