[mythtv-users] Possibly a "dumb" question

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:40:52 UTC 2010

Can someone explain this to me? I just don't get it...

Myth records shows as mpeg or whatever is being broadcast with no
decoding or other changes effectively capturing it unaltered.
During playback, Myth has a myriad of ways to process and render
video/audio to then deliver to the TV.
Why can't it just stream the exact file to the TV and let the TV tuner
receive/decode/render/interlace/deinterlace it. In other words hand it
to the TV exactly as it were broadcast.

I believe cable boxes do just that. Provide the broadcast stream on
channel 3 or 4 and let the TV deal with it.

The TV should not know any difference between live OTA, live cable, and
a playback of a recording from Myth...

It seems to me that this configuration would greatly reduce the video
card and/or cpu requirements and setup/config efforts.

Maybe I am waaay over-simplifying things...