[mythtv-users] TIVO and cablecard ?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:55:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Misc Things <formisc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > WOW!
>> > Are you saying that i _CAN_ record as many channels _in parrallel_ as i
>> wish
>> > ( as i many as i bought tuners)? So i STB doesn't limit me in anyway? (
>> I'm
>> > cablevision customer and have SA8300HD box).
>> >

>> Not encrypted channels well unless you have more than 1 cable box.
>>
>> John
>>

> hmm.. i think i'm getting conflicting information. so can or can i not
> record in parallel 4 channels (premium and unencrypted) using the
> cablevision box with attached mythtv. If i have 4 tuners installed on the
> (mythtv box) and have premium channels encoded with 5c encryption?
> Can i please have a definite answer?
>
> If the answer is "NO". then how many channels can i record simultaneously?

If you are recording the output of the STB, you can record a single channel
at a time.  If you have N STBs, you can record N channels at once, as long
as you have N tuners.  That is, you'll need a tuner for each STB for
simultaneous recording.

For recording straight off the coax, you can only record unencrypted
content, both SD and HD.  For multiplexed channels, some tuners can record
multiple shows off the same multiplex simultaneously.  So generally, 1 tuner
per channel (no STB needed), but sometimes 1 tuner for multiple channels,
depending if the two channels you want to record at a given time are on the
same multiplex.

Note that for the STB case, if you want to record HD content, you'll need a
specific tuner, the HD-PVR, attached to the component output of the STB.
 Unless you have a STB with firewire output enabled, in which case you can
record unencrypted HD over firewire using a firewire card.

I'm sure I'm leaving out an exception or two, but I think those are the main
cases.

-Jerry