[mythtv-users] TIVO and cablecard ?

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Fri Feb 5 18:05:47 UTC 2010

Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> If you are recording the output of the STB, you can record a single
> channel at a time.  If you have N STBs, you can record N channels at
> once, as long as you have N tuners.  That is, you'll need a tuner for
> each STB for simultaneous recording.

For nomenclature's sake, this should be rephrased to:

"If you have N STBs, you can record N channels at once, as long as you have
N _capture devices_."

In this case, capture devices would be an encoder or firewire port.

The word "tuner" implies that the device "tunes" to a frequency.  With the
case of a STB, the STB is doing the tuning and just outputting the result.

> For recording straight off the coax, you can only record unencrypted
> content, both SD and HD.  For multiplexed channels, some tuners can
> record multiple shows off the same multiplex simultaneously.  So
> generally, 1 tuner per channel (no STB needed), but sometimes 1 tuner
> for multiple channels, depending if the two channels you want to
> record at a given time are on the same multiplex.
>
> Note that for the STB case, if you want to record HD content, you'll
> need a specific tuner, the HD-PVR, attached to the component output
> of the STB.  Unless you have a STB with firewire output enabled, in
> which case you can record unencrypted HD over firewire using a
> firewire card.

And here:
"... you'll need a specific _capture device_, the HD-PVR ..."

> I'm sure I'm leaving out an exception or two, but I think those are
> the main cases.
>
> -Jerry

I'm sure that's what you meant, and probably understood by the other
posters, but better to get off on the right foot to minimize future
confusion.

Brian