[mythtv-users] Trashed file system after "Video frame buffering failed too many times"

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:29:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:49 AM, The GUIGuy <linux at finalfiler.com> wrote:
> I'm running mythbuntu 9.10 (0.22), Assume combined front/backend.
> A couple of weeks ago "Video frame buffering failed too many times" errors
> started to pop up. Logs complained that files couldn't be written because
> the FS was read only. On a reboot I had to fsck /dev/sda1. A number of files
> finished up being trashed so I suspected the HDD was on its way out.
>
> I replaced the HDD (new) and did a fresh install. All was well until a few
> days ago. Same "Video frame buffering failed too many times". Logs again
> suggested something was very sick on the HDD. Tried to reboot and it tells
> me it couldn't because the file system was read only!!??
>
> I held the  big button down for a few seconds. On the boot had to do the
> fsck /dev/sda1 again. The feed back wasn't good lots of "corrupted file"
> messages.
>
> Another HDD, another clean install, another week, same problem started again
> tonight.

Never underestimate the possibility that you have hit a BATCH of bad
hard disks. Hard disks fail.

Now, are you doing anything to help them fail faster? What does
smartmontools say for your hard drive state? How many hard drives?
What's hdd temp? Does your system have adequate ventilation? Is all of
your recording I/O going to OS disk? Are you leaving liveTV on weeks
on end and beating up the hard drive(s) with the live tv buffer? Did
you pack your system full of hard drives, and reduce fan speed to
reduce noise?

Have you run memtest86 to verify that the issue isn't bad RAM? Failing
ram does all sorts of weird things.

-Ross