[mythtv-users] Trashed file system after "Video frame buffering failed too many times"

The GUIGuy linux at finalfiler.com
Fri Feb 5 18:42:54 UTC 2010

Ross Campbell wrote:

> Never underestimate the possibility that you have hit a BATCH of bad
> hard disks. Hard disks fail.
>
> Now, are you doing anything to help them fail faster? What does
> smartmontools say for your hard drive state? How many hard drives?
> What's hdd temp? Does your system have adequate ventilation? Is all of
> your recording I/O going to OS disk? Are you leaving liveTV on weeks
> on end and beating up the hard drive(s) with the live tv buffer? Did
> you pack your system full of hard drives, and reduce fan speed to
> reduce noise?
>
> Have you run memtest86 to verify that the issue isn't bad RAM? Failing
> ram does all sorts of weird things.

Hi Ross,
The points you make I regard as basic troubleshooting and had therefore
eliminated before posting here.

I had not done a memtest86 but have done so now. There is nothing to
indicate anything amiss.

The HDDs were different makes. In any case they have subsequently
checked out to be OK.

Thanks

--
The GuiGuy