[mythtv-users] missing recordings from 2 DVB recorders (HVR-950Qs)

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sat Feb 6 15:13:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try removing them from the capture devices list in mythtv-setup.  You
>> don't want to have any v4l entries associated with the 950Q devices.
>
> Ah, analog isn't reliable?  My todo list was to get that working.

There is a known issue switching between analog and digita modesl.  At
this point, I would suggest removing any references to the v4l2
devices to help narrow down whether the problem is purely related to
the digital support or if it has something to do with analog.

> I guess having all three recorders running at the same time would just
> make it worse than.
> (I wish there was an option to cap the number of simultaneous
> recordings, regardless of the card)

Well, bear in mind I am suggesting that there could very well be a
driver problem.  In theory, when everything is working properly you
should be able to handle three digital streams at the same time
without any real problem.

>> I'll have to look at the code and see which alternate it's picking.
>
> Just to be really sure we're on the same page.  The output file is
> never created.  For instance:
>   /var/lib/mythtv/default/1008_20091029210000.mpg
> is simply missing (rather than empty).  All the logs I've looked at
> suggest mythtv thinks it was created though.
>
> To me this suggests that, even if the device driver side has a
> problem, mythtv's backend has also dropped the ball since it hasn't
> detected that things have failed.

MythTV might be removing the file if it is empty.  It's pretty dumb in
this sense - it does the tune and then waits for packets to arrive.
If no packets ever arrive, then it never recognizes this condition.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com