[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

Bob Gamble kiksadiweb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 07:24:54 UTC 2010

Hello David,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I do have the box type set.  Though it is an H21,
using H20 (set in directv.pl) works fine as I don't see any references to
H21 in your script.
When changing channels watching live tv and attempting to change channels, I
see "Irrecoverable Recorder Error" on the screen after it returns to the
main Frontend menu.
On
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serialthe
person mentions needing to enable hardware
support in order for the script to work reliably.  Though I've never felt
the need to do this before, I would like to try but where do I set that?

In live tv, it's pretty consistent that I can "start" watching live tv, but
when trying to change a channel, I get the error.  It will give a blank
screen, sometimes
even look like it almost makes it, then fails.  Other times it works, and
even other times after watching for a period of time, say an hour, live tv
will shut off and
return to the main screen.

The external channel change parameter I use is
"/usr/local/bin/directv.plsetup_channel."  The script is owned and
group owned by mythtv and the
permissions are
set to 755.  I have read where some people thought the serial port
permissions may have kept them from changing channels but I don't believe
this is the case.  The
permssions on that file are:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2010-02-06 15:25 /dev/ttyUSB0

To fix changing channels I often restart mythbackend, or unplug/replug my
usb->serial plug.  If that fails, I remove all cards/video sources and
re-add them.  As you can imagine
I get tired of this.  But for free all this software still rocks so I'm not
complaining.

Thanks again for writing.  I'll keep on plugging on this because I know it
will work.  It has to be something simple that I am just not seeing.