[mythtv-users] Antenna.. too good to be true?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 7 15:19:13 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 February 2010 08:09:03 am bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> Has anyone on the list tried this one?
> Yeh, I know that there is one born every mnute, but could it be better than
>  my attic-mounted quad bow-tie or would it worth it to build the quad up to
>  a dual quad?.
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=10
> 90102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
>
> Yeh, I know that there is one born every minute but could it be better than
>  my attic-mounted quad bow-tie or would it worth it to build the quad up to
>  a dual quad?. Thanks,
>   Bert

Two basic principles:

You get what you pay for.

More metal, more signal.

This would probably work as well as any similar-sized UHF antenna. I'd ignore
the "gain" claim, it probably comes from the "LNA", and is not a true
measurement of its real gain "DBi".

You are paying for "stylish", not engineering.