[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTV Backend System

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 02:30:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Jim Beckett <beckett.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Bailey wrote:
>
> I would encourage you to get lots of space. I *thought*
> a terabyte would be sufficient. Technically, it is but
> I hate having to worry about going over.
>
> I have 3- 500GB drives, and I have to say that although I am getting close
> to filling that up, it's taken a couple of months.
>
> I find it's way more TV than I can personally keep up with. That being said,
> I am thinking about setting up some sort of user transcode job for the
> recordings that I consider keepers, and reduce them down to DVD quality to
> reclaim some of my currently used space.
>
> But then again, a lot of what is stored on the disks are things I'll
> probably never watch again, and should auto-expire (hasn't happened yet), so
> it hasn't been a priority for me.

Yeah I have 1 TB for recordings and about 1.4 for 'video' files that
I've acquired in various places. Its more than I can ever watch, but
the kids seem to like watching endless southpark, family guy, simpsons
and futurama, all of which seem to be filling it up...

Annoyingly the videos files are scattered over three hard drives in 3
machines, plus a couple of externals. I really need to get a decent
NAS and simplify it all...(and find the power supply for that external
that is lying dead in the server room)