[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTVBackend System

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Feb 8 07:37:04 UTC 2010

On 2/7/2010 22:37, MythTV wrote:
> Recording speed with 12 tuners requires 12 concurrent streams to be
> written to the disk.  The
> bottleneck becomes the seek times and rotational latency.

The innermost track of a 1.5TB 5400RPM drive is going to push 50MB/s
sequentially.  With some safe estimates of 30 seeks/sec, and a 15ms seek
latency, almost half the time would be spent seeking, dropping
throughput to 25MB/s (ignoring onboard cache and NCQ).  Those twelve
recordings each at a respectable 16mbps will use 24MB/s.  That puts it
in the realm of possible, but probably not without problems.  Of course
if you own 12 tuners, you should have no problem getting multiple hard
drives to record to.

On 2/7/2010 23:00, Ben Kamen wrote:
> Could always start striping drives in a raid 0 kinda deal. :D

No. Striping causes the same exact problem.  You still have all the
disks seeking in unison, you just end up with significantly higher
throughput.  If you've got proper hardware RAID with write-back cache,
it may be able to re-order the writes to be more sequential.  The whole
purpose of Storage Groups added in 0.21 was to allow you to add multiple
independent drives to MythTV, and allow it to properly load balance
between them.