[mythtv-users] different key remappings for different keyboards?

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:50:38 UTC 2010

On 02/08/2010 06:37 PM, j2u4 j2u4 wrote:
> My myth frontend has two keyboards -- the regular one, and a nice
> VRC-1100 remote control (all buttons register as keypresses).
>
> I would like the buttons that generate ESC and BACKSPACE remapped on the
> remote control, which I can do easily enough with xmodmap. But I'd also
> like the buttons on the regular keyboard to *not* be remapped. I don't
> think there is any way to do that with xmodmap, since the mappings are
> not device-specific. But maybe it can be done lower down, like with
> setkeycodes? Has anyone played with this?
>
> Thanks,
> -j

You could consider routing your two devices via lircd's dev/input driver
and identifying them using /dev/input/by-path, which is guaranteed to
survive reboot and USB hot-plug as long as it's physically in the same
USB port.

This might involve some serious re-configuration of key mapping (well,
depending on your setup), but then you could assign completely different
actions to each device - for different applications. Lirc also allows
neat stuff like state machines - one buttons enters a "nested" mode,
allowing for example to execute & operate another application (while the
original doesn't know about it) and then another button-event returns
you back to top-level configuration. It's quite useful, even when you
have just MythTV (single application). I use a similar setup to have one
button enter a special "admin" mode - from there I can start
mythtv-setup on a different workspace, tune it and return back after
exitting; or start a DB cleanup (reset default channels, etc); or
restart DVB-related daemons. The possibilities are endless.

It might not be for you, though, it takes time to set up and all you
really want is changing one keyboard's key code. :) If so, use keyfuzz
(if it still works?) to update scan & key code translation tables for
individual /dev/input devices.

So in short: yes, it's possible. ;)

--
David Kubicek