[mythtv-users] OT: cheap clicker with serial IR receiver

Robert Koblish rkoblish at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 06:53:15 UTC 2010

I just stumbled across this: <tekgems.com/Products/tg-pbr.htm>. It's a
Packard-Bell-labeled 34-button remote control, with 9-pin serial IR
receiver, for $1.49 (plus $5 S&H per order). It is not a universal
remote control; it won't control your TV, VCR, or DVD player. All 34
buttons are usable with LIRC; there aren't any dedicated device
buttons. Each button sends its own keycode.

I already have one of these, and am using it as a dedicated remote
control for my frontend. Mine works well. It receives the IR signal
from my RS 15-2116 clicker also.

I had to edit the lirc config files I got with Mythbuntu; for one
thing, no key was programmed to send the Escape code. The 34 keys are
sufficient for basic use. You'll want to make an overlay to label the
keys to agree with your LIRC configuration. It's a cheap clicker that
you don't have to worry about the kids breaking. And even if you don't
use the clicker, it's a cheap IR receiver if your frontend has a 9-pin
serial port.

Disclaimer: I have no connection or experience with this supplier. I
acquired mine from another source, and am pleased with its feature set
and performance.

One more thing: it uses AA batteries, which should last longer than
the AAA cells used in some other remotes.

Bob Koblish