[mythtv-users] OT: cheap clicker with serial IR receiver

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:05:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Robert Koblish <rkoblish at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just stumbled across this: <tekgems.com/Products/tg-pbr.htm>. It's a
> Packard-Bell-labeled 34-button remote control, with 9-pin serial IR
> receiver, for $1.49 (plus $5 S&H per order). It is not a universal
> remote control; it won't control your TV, VCR, or DVD player. All 34
> buttons are usable with LIRC; there aren't any dedicated device
> buttons. Each button sends its own keycode.
>
> I already have one of these, and am using it as a dedicated remote
> control for my frontend. Mine works well. It receives the IR signal
> from my RS 15-2116 clicker also.
>
> I had to edit the lirc config files I got with Mythbuntu; for one
> thing, no key was programmed to send the Escape code. The 34 keys are
> sufficient for basic use. You'll want to make an overlay to label the
> keys to agree with your LIRC configuration. It's a cheap clicker that
> you don't have to worry about the kids breaking. And even if you don't
> use the clicker, it's a cheap IR receiver if your frontend has a 9-pin
> serial port.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no connection or experience with this supplier. I
> acquired mine from another source, and am pleased with its feature set
> and performance.
>
> One more thing: it uses AA batteries, which should last longer than
> the AAA cells used in some other remotes.

I have one. I disagree. Its horrid. Functional-ish but without the
buttons you really want, and I can never remember where I mapped the
useful ones.

Damn cheap though. If anyone wants one they can have it for the
shipping (as I'm in New Zealand, that may make it more expensive than
you'd ever want to pay for one!)