[mythtv-users] Planning Tuners and Disk I/O for a MythTV Backend System

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 20:44:00 UTC 2010

Blammo wrote:
> In addition, you've now helped create hundreds of copies (thanks to
> unknown quantity of archives of this mailing list) of useful
> information  that other users will benefit from. Not that you needed
> my "Atta-boy", but just wanted to burn part of some virtual paper to
> say... thanks.. :)

Thanks for the 'Atta-boy', Blammo!  I appreciate it.

Hopefully, I won't be sent any invoices for all the space, and bandwidth
this this thread has consumed! ;)

There has been some great discussion on the topic(s).

I have to say, that in coming from the Microsoft way of doing things, I
was spoiled when I installed Mythbuntu (8.04, I think, maybe an earlier
version) on my system a couple of years ago.

(I replaced XP, and GBPVR, and was pretty happy with it.)

IMO, Mythbuntu did way too good of a job of automating the process for
me to get any useful troubleshooting experience from it.

The only thing I remember having to figure out was that I needed to
download and build the firmware for my HD cards, and then dump it in
/lib/firmware.

Everything else, as I recall, just worked.

I did a fresh install of Mythbuntu 9.10 a couple of months ago, which
has been a lot more difficult to get up, and running, at an acceptable
F.A.F.

The good part about this is that it has forced me to learn a lot more
about how GNU/Linux and MythTV work, and that is VERY valuable
experience in my eyes.

Just to prove what a glutton for punishment I am, I'm running Debian
Squeeze/Sid with unstable/testing packages on my workstation!

There seems to be a weekly gotchas that I have to try to work through!
(It's kind of fun.)

All, in all, it is great experience. Who knows, someday I might just get
good at it!

- Jim