[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 10 03:38:32 UTC 2010

On 02/09/2010 10:17 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>
>> Have you *tried* to find a small power supply lately? I had to go
>> looking in early December and the lowest powered PS I could find was a
>> 350 Watt unit. I ended up with a 400 watt modular so I would not have
>> to deal with a dozen unwanted wires.
>>
>> I spoke to an engineering representative of SilverstoneTek at CES and
>> put a bug in his ear about this. He seemed quite interested and mildly
>> surprised at the low levels we generally run at...well below the 80%
>> efficiency band for most power supplies. Hopefully it will result in
>> something. (Just remembered I promised/threatened to email him, and I
>> know where his business card is..will do that tomorrow.)
>
> I find it pretty bizarre... We (as in the generic we) spend $$ on LED
> lighting, solar water heat, small cars, but when it comes to computers,
> we still want the 800W afterburner power supply. Go figure. I'd love to
> see the cost of solar power power and batteries drop and the size of
> hard drives go up to the point where I can run my 7 TB of raid off of 2
> - 4 TB drives, each drawing 7W, instead of the 12 hard drives I have
> now. And replace my flame throwing backend with a quad-core ION setup,
> all running off a solar panel on the roof.

Not so sure about handling the 7TB setup, but the ION mb I bought (now
running as my VOIP PBX at work), ran 27 watts steady-state, 2Gig RAM,
one 320G hard drive, and an HVR950 USB stick tuner.
Now that's within range of the capacity of the 30 watt or 60 watt
flexible solar panels I saw at CES. I sent my brother the details: he
wants to put a 60 watt panel on the bimini top on his sailboat. Just add
batteries!
Geoff