[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Feb 10 16:37:52 UTC 2010

On 2/10/2010 09:02, Andre Newman wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2010, at 23:21, Brian Fischer wrote:
>

>> Next bump was $90 for a GTS 240.  Will upgrade to a GTS 220 fanless when they are cheaper.  However, this review is pretty damning of the 210: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-210-gt220_7.html
>> Anyone have feedback on this review?
>>
> Sounds much like what I've experienced.
>
> I'm very puzzled by the products touted for HTPC:
> Nvidia ION, 9400M GPU almost good enough to manage good quality 1080i but not quite.
> G210, same story, almost good enough but not quite, not even for European 1080i50 rather than 1080i60.

All VDPAU capable hardware can handle 1080i/p just fine.  They all use
roughly the same hardware decoder, and the only advantage the more
modern cards have is the capability of VC1 entropy decoding (otherwise
emulated in software) and ASP decoding.  What the lower end cards lack
is deinterlacing.  That task is performed on the shader hardware, and
the two cards you mention don't have the power for 'Advanced 2x', or
spacial-temporal deinterlacing.  They can run all of the lesser filters,
and all of us on lower end hardware get by fine without it.