[mythtv-users] New System - Looking for Feedback

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 10 21:15:34 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 10:58 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:31:21PM -0800, Matt W (mwood23 at gmail.com)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been burned (ok not literally) by cheapie power supplies and even
>>> not-so-cheap ones. Yes, I'm looking at you, Antec NEO 480. But
>>> assuming you can get something like a 80+ or 85+ power supply and
>>> assuming a higher wattage rating means the components could last
>>> longer at a lesser load (yes, except you, Antec NEO)... isn't that a
>>> good move? versus say, a lower quality 200W PS?
>>
>> Quite possibly.
>>
>> Anyway, there's a lot of variation in how well PSUs handle low loads.
>> One I've found good is Nexus Value 430, which chugs along happily
>> (and quietly!) at 20W load (that's not a mythtv box but good example,
>> as the machines' power consumption literally halved simply by
>> replacing the PSU).
>>
> If you're only pulling 20W perhaps you should be using one of these:
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/viewer.asp?i=1&j=1829

That requires a 12 volt input, so you would normally use an external
brick....exactly like I have on my Zotac ION. The PicoPS is a very neat
solution, especially if you already have a 12 supply (car, boat etc).
And of course, a power brick is silent, and needs no cooling and lasts
'forever'. I think I have some which are over 5 years old from my
Thinkpad(s).

Geoff