[mythtv-users] Analog capture cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 11 00:13:45 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 05:08:32 pm Bob Wiegand wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Doesn't necessarily mean the 1600 is "not as good", it simply means the
> > specs are different. It might actually produce better results when fed
> > levels it is happy with.
>
> Since the same signal has worked fine with two different 350 cards, 3
> TVs and a HDHomeRun, I think that "not as good" is valid.

If your input is not within the specified limits for the tuner it's just not
fair to say it's not as good. "Not as good with X input level" might be
accurate, but if it's not within the spec it's meaningless.

If a simple attenuator produces better results, why complain?

The more channels a cable system adds, the harder it gets to maintain levels
high enough to get a good signal to noise, and still low enough to minimize
third-order products. The window between those two points gets smaller.