[mythtv-users] Use internal channel changer with HD-PVR?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:24:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I understand it, the Mythtv integrated firewire channel changer
>> works with a variety of STB's including the Motorola 4250HDC.
>> However, the only way to specify the internal firewire channel changer
>> is to also use firewire as a tuner.  I would like to know if there is
>> a way of configuring the internal firewire channel changer to work
>> with the HD-PVR tuner?  If not, has any thought been given to allowing
>> the integrated firewire channel changer to be specified on any tuner
>> page in mythtv-setup?  Some sort of checkbox which would disable the
>> external channel changer textbox and enable a drop-box with the
>> various internal channel changers would be ideal.
>>
>> I imagine some sort of hack could be performed where I specified a
>> firewire tuner and never used it, but had an external channel changer
>> for the HD-PVR use Mythtv's telnet API to change the firewire channel.
>>  I've never researched the telnet API, so maybe that functionality
>> isn't present, I'm just thinking out loud.  :)
>>
>> /Brian/

I use MajorIdiot's mythchanger script to change channels on my
SA4250HDC, with my HD-PVR as the tuner. I do not have a firewire tuner
set up, I just have the mythchanger parameters in the section that
asks for the external channel changer. I'm at work so my description
might be a little off; If you'd like I can get an exact description of
what's set up where when I get home.