[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork compatible ir blaster

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 12 01:57:52 UTC 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010 06:27:21 pm greg wrote:

> > I'm using a MyBlaster and haven't missed a channel change in years,
> > unfortunately the MyBlasters are no longer made. You might try E-Bay
> > though, but I don't find any there right now.

> I can't figure why they went out of business..I have been using one for
> 3 or 4 years and it just plain works..I check e-bay weekly to see if I
> can pick up another,just in case of an disaster.
> It takes less than five minutes to set up and the best part no lirc...

I guess MyTV needed more than one product to stay alive, or there may have
been other factors, certainly the MyBlaster was a winning product.

Plus, it works with any Linux-supported USB-to-Serial adapter, which the lirc-
based units won't generally do. Good thing now that serial ports are getting
rarer.

Also has learning capability. Also puts out a lot of IR energy, no taping to
the controlled device required, and no precise positioning needed.

A visible LED to indicate transmission as well.

The only negative I can think of is it requires another AC power plug, but I'm
happy to put up with that, it' just a great device, as you say, it just works,
and in 10 minutes.

Probably the best $50 I ever spent on Myth gear.

(Also thanks again to Mr. Munson for the perl script that works so well with
it.)