[mythtv-users] how to setup for analogue surround sound

Laurence lhuizinga at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 12 05:58:13 UTC 2010

Hi, I have a working alsa setup on my Archlinux 64 box.
I can do a:

   speaker-test -D51to50 -twav -l1 -c6

which outputs sound to all correct 5 (yes 5) speakers.
I do not have a sub, so I have written a route in asound.conf (called
51to50) that routes lfe to other speakers.  I have not yet setup mythtv
on this box, but am going to soon.  When I run mplayer and try to play a
surround encoded file (such as one that I have which works with aplay)
it plays sound to the wrong speakers (apart from front left and front
right) in mplayer.  I have simply done a:

   mplayer -ao alsa:device=51to50 ~/chan-id.wav -channels 6

It plays the rear left as front right and centre as rear right etc.
Anyone have any bright ideas or come across this before.
Larry