[mythtv-users] Analog capture cards

Bob bob_ml at stuffofmine.com
Fri Feb 12 13:29:14 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> If your input is not within the specified limits for the tuner it's just not
> fair to say it's not as good. "Not as good with X input level" might be
> accurate, but if it's not within the spec it's meaningless.

But if the spec is narrower than is typical for that type of device then
I consider that to be not as good. I'm not making an absolute
evaluation, I'm comparing it to other existing hardware and it comes
up short.

> If a simple attenuator produces better results, why complain?

How may people happen to have an attenuator lying around?

> The more channels a cable system adds, the harder it gets to maintain levels
> high enough to get a good signal to noise, and still low enough to minimize
> third-order products. The window between those two points gets smaller.

I understand that - if all me devices had problems I would blame the
cable company. When only one device has a problem I blame the device.

Bob