[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital transition Denver

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Feb 12 18:02:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 11:28 -0500, Dan Wilga wrote:

> I just last night got off the phone with Comcast about this very topic.
> In my region, the only signals sent in-the-clear now are SD versions of
> local channels. If you want certain sub-channels you need a (free) DTA.
> If you want any HD at all, you need to rent a Motorola box.

If that's what they do here, it will pretty much turn my HDHomerun  into
a brick. I suppose I can do OTA but I will then have only one tuner (the
HD-PVR) for everything else. That sucks. Any advantage to having cable
instead of satellite will be completely lost.

However, what we've actually seen is that they seem to do things
slightly differently in every region, so I won't really know what clear
QAM channels will be available to me until the actual switch occurs and
I do a scan. The only thing I can be sure of is that my Myth system will
be significantly less useful after the switch than before. It is amazing
that their marketing people have the balls to bill this as something
good for the consumer.

--Greg