[mythtv-users] DirecTV / Hauppauge HD PVR questions

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Fri Feb 12 19:40:52 UTC 2010

Pete Ashdown wrote:
> I'm getting sick of waiting for DTV & Tivo to get their act together
> with the new DirecTivo.  I'm sure when it comes out it will be locked up
> tighter than an engine block soaking in salt water.  I stumbled across
> the Hauppauge HD PVR today and it seems like a good option to get HD
> DirecTV into Myth.  I have a couple of questions.
>
> What is the recommended receiver?  Based on
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
> , I am guessing the D12-300 would be best.
>
> I saw some mention that there is no way to shut off the channel banner
> when changing channels on the DTV receivers via IR.  Is this true of
> serial control as well?  Does MythTV have any facility to change the
> channel X seconds before recording with the HD PVR?
>
> What happened to the hubbub behind the MPAA asking to shut off component
> outputs for newly released movies?  Has DTV complied with any of these
> requests?  Have they downrez'd anything on component yet?
>
> Thanks.

I've got a H20-100 hooked up to mine.  The only issue I've come across is
having the HDMI and component outputs active at the same time and the TV or
audio receiver not set to view the DirecTV box.  Which might be related to
your last question.  See here for more details...

I'm using a usb to serial connection to change channels.  I haven't found a
way to turn off the banner.  If the channel change script doesn't send the
extra key to clear the banner, you can reduce the amount of time it's shown in
the box's setup.  With the channel change sleep delay that's mentioned in the
other responses and the box set to native, the banner appears and disappears
on the blank screen as it changes the channel.  So by the time Mythtv starts
recording, the banner is usually gone.

In addition to the channel change delay, Mythtv can be set by default or on a
  per recording basis to start recording before the actual scheduled show
time.  That can also help offset the banner showing over the show.

Alan