[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-4000, firmware or heat problem?

Andrew Stevens wackston at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:08:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

> <lid off>
> ...So far mythbackend has been completely stable!
>
> So my questions are:
> 1. Does anyone know if the firmware on the cards are actually loaded on the cards with just a reboot?
> I know that dmesg says it does so, but is it possible that the old firmware still resides on the cards and that they just ignore the new loading?
>
> 2. I suspect the Nvidia 9500GT videocard to be the source if this is a heat problem. The fan on this card blocks the PCIe 1x slot next to it and it is quite close to one of the HVR-4000. I can also feel that it makes quite a lot of heat.
> Does anyone have practical experience with the amount of heat an Nvidia GT220 produces? I have seen from various tests that indicate it should be lower than the 9500GT, but does it actually make any difference?

I had some suspicious stability issues on my 4-receiver (3 WinTV HD-S2 -
HVR-4000 Euro-branding) setup. I used to work in semiconductors and I
found the ICs on the boards fairly warm - heat-sinks cost money after
all ;-)

Anyway, I placed a throttled 10cm fan in front of the cards and stabilty
was no longer an issue.   Its always hard to be sure with marginal
thermal issues (updates, upgrades, merely cleaning out the case and
reseating etc) but it certainly didn't hurt!

cheers,

	Andrew