[mythtv-users] multiple versions of video

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Sun Feb 14 18:44:42 UTC 2010

I record many of my shows by dumping the HD stream using a PCHDTV card.
On occasion I find that I'd like to watch a show, but I can't sustain
the required data rate (using wireless or outside lan).  I don't want to
replace the HD versions, but I'd like to use the same myth frontend
interface or at least the upnp interface to select/watch the shows.

Two things I'd like to see mythtv do.  Maybe someone has managed to get
something similar to work.

1. real time transcoding with a slight modification to the interface.

Recordings -> Heros Episode 3 -> Original 1920 x 1080
                               -> Small Transcoded (ogv) 568x320
                               -> Small Transcoded (h.264) 586x320

The upnp interface would offer something similar.  Transcoding options
are preconfigured.  This takes serious processing power (maybe vdpau can
help).

2. normal transcoding with the same interface features in 1. for when
transcoding can't be done in real time.

Interface is key.  I can hand transcode files, and pick them using a
file browser, but that's a pain.  The solution I'm looking for is as
easy as playing a regular show from the mythtv frontend.

--
Randall Smith