[mythtv-users] Avenard, mythbuntu, nVidia 195 drivers, HDMI audio - lost day

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Mon Feb 15 20:20:27 UTC 2010

---- Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2010, at 14:48, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
> > On 16 February 2010 01:01,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Again, is there an official process to integrate Avenard for nvidia
> >> drivers?
> >
> > Wonder why I bother writing some docs...
> > http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/11/9_Karmic_and_Using_Avenard_repo.html

I am not trying to hijack any thread here, I'm just up to my neck in the same deep, sticky mud.

I !!had!! a 9.04, xp, f11 box that was working very nicely when some seemingly unrelated update somehow kicked off a 2.2 package install.From there the 9.04 installation just sort of caved in on itself.
I started to get nvidia-185 dependencies problems which even blocked the removal of other packages.
Finally, after wasting a lot of time, I gave up and after wasting even more time backing up tons of
stuff I just tried a new 9.10 install which at this point is giving me fits.

The new problem is that the new install is not setting up grub.
The /boot has just one new file in it and that appears to be just a place holder.
Is this the new grub2 doing some sort of evil magic? if so, it's working.. the whole system is down.
I have installed 9.10 on several other boxes after consistant failures with the 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade
but this is the first one that has a triple boot and the first one that has been a total disaster.

This is not my main mythtv box, it's sort of a catch-all FEBE with a 8400GS video card.
now the question is, which is better a 9.10 with a mythtv install or a 9.10 with a mythbuntu install?
It runs in GNOME most of the time so my guess is that the 9.10 + mythtv is the better solution.