[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 15 22:36:25 UTC 2010

On 02/15/2010 04:38 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> With the Olympics on my recording schedule is pretty light so I'm
> considering bringing my MythTV box up to date. I'm currently running
> Fedora 9 and I know all the arguments to reformat/reinstall but wondering
> if anyone has upgrade incrementally. I could just dive in and go F9 ->
> F12, or increment through the versions. Preupgrade has never worked for
> me, but I've just had success doing a yum upgrade.
>
> Any ideas? Experiences?

Well I have never been a fan of upgrades as such. Plus I have always
decided to make changes which are likely impossible using the upgrade
path, such as making large changes to the partition structure etc.

Going from F9 to F12, is quite a jump. You may have to change the size
of /boot, if you use one, since the upgrade path apparently demands a
substantial disk volume, 'just in case'. When I move from F10, there
will be no /boot on the new box.
It's also a good time to separate things you must backup (like /home)
from things which you do not absolutely have to. An install is a couple
of hours, at most: losing the database is more than that when you have
100+ programs on disk. Home should be on its own partition, and should
be where .../mysql actually lives ( and ..../html if you use mythweb).

It's also a good time to think about separating the OS and storage drives.

Geoff