[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Feb 16 01:13:25 UTC 2010

2010/2/15 Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>:

> considering bringing my MythTV box up to date. I'm currently running
> Fedora 9 and I know all the arguments to reformat/reinstall but wondering
> if anyone has upgrade incrementally. I could just dive in and go F9 ->
> F12, or increment through the versions. Preupgrade has never worked for
> me, but I've just had success doing a yum upgrade.

I can almost guarantee that you'll break your system if you try to
upgrade directly from F9 to F12 :) As far as I remember, the big step
is going from F9 to F10. If you're going for the upgrade, I suggest
you to take your time and follow the upgrade guides for F10, F11 and
F12 incrementally. Remember to fully update each of the versions to
the latest packages before moving on to the next major version.

It is doable, but expect some glitches here and there on your way.
Test if everything works on each version, so you don't end up with
something broken in F12 without knowing if it broke in F10, F11 or
F12. It will make it harder to debug or find a solution to the
problem, if you don't even know the Fedora version in which it broke.

You can get the Installation Manuals of F10, F11 and F12 here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

Best Regards
Kenni Lund