[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 05:38:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> 2010/2/15 Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>:
> >
> > considering bringing my MythTV box up to date. I'm currently running
> > Fedora 9 and I know all the arguments to reformat/reinstall but wondering
> > if anyone has upgrade incrementally. I could just dive in and go F9 ->
> > F12, or increment through the versions. Preupgrade has never worked for
> > me, but I've just had success doing a yum upgrade.
>
> I can almost guarantee that you'll break your system if you try to
> upgrade directly from F9 to F12 :) As far as I remember, the big step
> is going from F9 to F10. If you're going for the upgrade, I suggest
> you to take your time and follow the upgrade guides for F10, F11 and
> F12 incrementally. Remember to fully update each of the versions to
> the latest packages before moving on to the next major version.

I'm a HUGE proponent of setting up a "ping pong" structure so you can
isolate new installations until they're ready -- I have 2 "root" partitions,
and I'll leave my running system using "root1" while I install fresh on
"root2", get everything configured, install myth, copy over the database
from a backup "root1" version, etc.  Once everything is working I flip the
default grub entry to "root2".  I can still revert to the old if necessary;
if not, then "root1" gets erased and used for the next upgrade.

I have a directory of scripts/READMEs/package lists/system file snapshot
tars that I use to get the new build up and running.  Once you get used to
it and document the steps, it's not too hard to do, and to me seems much
less risky than upgrading on top of whatever weirdnesses exist in an old
system.

Basically, I have a shared "/boot", "/home", "/storage" (the largest; all
the others are ~50GB), and per-install "root1", "root2", and now "root3" on
my latest 1.5TB drive to make it even more flexible.

Now that F12 comes with grub that supports ext4 fully, I put "/boot" in each
root partition with its own grub, and use a master grub (files shared in
"/masterboot") that just chainloads the root partitions' own grub.  This
keeps each install's kernels etc separate and avoids possible conflicts
and old kernels collecting in a shared /boot.

Josh