[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Wed Feb 17 15:16:00 UTC 2010

Ian Oliver wrote:
I have four DVB-T tuners each configured with four virtual tuners.

With just one tuner recording, it seems that Live TV is restricted to
only getting channels one the same mux as that tuner. Why doesn't it
automatically use a different tuner, either one that's already tuned to
the appropriate mux or one that's totally free? Have I configured
something incorrectly or am I failing to understand how this is
supposed to work.

We're currently transitioning from a Humax PVR9200. This has two
tuners, and handles them fairly sensibly. If it's recording two things
on the same mux, it will record both using one tuner. Live TV then has
no restrictions. If it's recording two things on different muxes, then
Live TV can only get channels on either of those two muxes. Critically,
my wife and daughter don't have to understand the difference between a
channel and a mux (trust me, I tried), they just need to know that
there are times restrictions, and the PVR handles this.

With mythtv, I hoped/assumed that having four (eventually six!) tuners
would pretty much remove all restrictions. The backend would handle
recordings and the four front ends could get any channel with mythtv
handling the selection of tuner.

Regards

Ian

There is as setting called "Avoid conflicts between live-TV and recordings" or something like that.

I think you find it under "General Settings" but I can't remenber if it is a backend or frontend setting.

Jens