[mythtv-users] x264 suttering

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Feb 17 15:44:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, February 17, 2010 3:37 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 February 2010 08:20:21 am Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:
>> Yan Seiner wrote:
>> 2) small wiring - it's really, really hard to snake an RCA connector
>> through some of the places in a car.  A DVI connector would be orders of
>> magnitude harder or downright impossible.  And hand-assembing a DVI
>> connector is not something I want to contemplate.
>>
>> --Yan
>>
>> Instead of a DVI cable you can use an HDMI cable with DVI->HDMI adapters
>> at
>>  both ends. The HDMI connectors are much smaller than the DVI
>> connectors.
>
> It would work, of course, but especially in mobile installations you
> should
> try to avoid additional connectors and/or adapters as much as possible.
> It's
> amazing how much vibration you can get in a motor vehicle, and connectors
> tend
> to wiggle loose easily.
>
> I'm still wondering about the OP using a wireless connection, similar to
> what
> the backup cameras use.
>
> I'd just offer to solder the connectors for him after he pulls the cables,
> but
> I don't see any way to do that from afar :-)

:-)

Someone mentioned overclocking.  Turns out that overclocking should be
dead simple, both for the Atom CPU and the GMA945 Intel graphics chip.

I haven't tried either one (work getting in the way of fun again) but I'll
report back.  It would be nice to have HD and h264 playback on an Atom
with intel graphics.

I'm about 5% to 10% of CPU+GPU throughput from having HD and h264
playback, so a bit of overclocking could go a long way.

The other question I have is:

Does reducing the display resoution help any?  The Intel chipset defaults
to 1280x960 (I'm going from memory here) when using the composite out.
Since composite is at best something like 720x480, would reducing the
resolution help out at all?

--Yan

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.