[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

Bob Gamble kiksadiweb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:26:14 UTC 2010

This is some testing I was able to do over the last couple of days.  I put
the test script in place of the original.  It has had a pretty good rate of
success until I started "messing" with it by
trying to watch live tv.  When changing channels with the keyboard, it
worked without error quite a few times.  Actually I couldn't get it to fail
with the keyboard method
(running "directv.pl setup_channel").  I noticed any 3 digit channel change
would first try to go to the first number of the channel sequence.  For
example, changing to 206 would first try changing
to channel 2 until it got the rest of the numbers, then finally change to
206.  Amazingly it was successful each time (out of 10 or so changes).

Using my Harmony 880 however was unsuccessful nearly every time.  I would
see a blank screen for several seconds then it would bounce back to the main
menu with "Irrecoverable error."
I would love to stop there and say the remote was the only problem but I
still see where I get "Canceled recording: Recorder failed" on some
occasions when it has tried running a scheduled
recording.  Next I will change the box type to H21 and see how that goes.  I
hope to do this tonight if possible.  I will also use the original remote
for the PVR350 to see if it fails as the Harmony
does.