[mythtv-users] Securing mythweb

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Feb 17 19:28:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:

> Mike Perkins wrote:
> > ...or some other port, forwarded to 443 on your server. Like 80, 443 is
> too
> > juicy a target for the bots to aim at. My firewall gets dozens of hits
> per hour
> > on both ports.
>
> This gets tricky for connecting from work though. A lot of companies are
> getting
> very security-conscious and blocking almost everything apart from http,
> shttp and
> ftp from exiting their user network onto the intertubes. I know I am unable
> to use
> non-standard ports for https etc.

You could also forward a standard port to a non-standard service. A pain for
a public server, but for your own personal box, not an issue. And if the bad
guys are attacking 443 expecting Apache, and you have OpenSSH there, for
example, it will give you some security. Still, it does cause some issues
for a connecting without any added software on the client machine. If you
properly set up 443 and keep updated, your chances of getting hacked are
quite low.