[mythtv-users] EIP or xmltv

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Feb 18 02:30:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 11:18 +1100, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM, sonofzev at iinet.net.au
> <sonofzev at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On Thu Feb 18  9:29 , Vince Coen  sent:
> >
> >>Hi all;
> >>
> >>I currently use EIP via UK freeview to get my TV schedules.
> >>
> >>This on the basis that they are kept up to date continuously ie before and
> >>after a sports programme that over or under runs.
> >>
> >>Is this a valid assumption?
> >>
> >>Or is scheduling via xmltv (via Radio Times website) more reliable as I assume
> >>that their information is at best updated daily?
> >>

> >>Vince
> >
> > I can't answer to the UK, but in Australia this is definitely not the case and
> > unfortunately no guide over here (EIP or XMLTV) is well updated for over and
> > under runs. However the quality of using xmltv appears to be better ( e.g. fewer
> > spelling mistakes, consistent naming and capitilisations).
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Allan
>
> Of course, you can use XMLTV but leave EIP enabled on specific
> channels if you find that gives better data.
>
> I've just switched to XMLTV - here in Australia, the EIP is
> practically never updated for schedule over-runs - hardly surprising,
> given that the commercial networks here routinely overrun shows by 20
> minutes to frustrate channel flickers and DVR users.

Hopefully this might improve since ratings now include recorded shows
watched in the next week, which means they will want 'ratees' to get
their shows recorded.  Hopefully.

Actually, Channel 10 and the ABC are great at updating their data so
that shows are recorded accurately.  7 and 9 have some work to do,
especially 9 who can't even give use Genre information, and I'm not sure
how SBS do, but I think they are pretty accurate.

R.