[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

Vince Coen vbcoen at btconnect.com
Thu Feb 18 21:02:45 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 Feb 2010, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am in the process of spec'ing my first HTPC.  It will be Xubuntu with
> MythTV.  I will use it as a DVR and rip my DVDs and CDs to it.  It will
> have a couple of tuners in it so that we can combine FreeView and
> FreeSat (I am UK based).
> So far the hardware looks like this:
>
> Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
> Processer:   Athlon II X2 240e
> Tuner 1:   WinTV NOVA TD-500
> Tuner 2:   WinTV NOVA HD-S2
> No graphics card
>
> Initially I will not be 'doing' HD; no Blu-Ray and no HD TV (this will
> change but not for 6 months or so).
>
> My concern is how to connect the HTPC to my Standard TV (Panasonic
> TX-28PL10).
>
> The Gigabyte motherboard has D-SUB, DVI-D and HDMI.
> The TV has SCART, S-Video and RCA (composite video - yellow, plus sterio
> audio red/white).  The RCA is currently used for the Wii.
>
> How can I get the HTPC connected to the TV?

Had the same situation.  Got a Nvidia card in my case, a Geforce 210 Cuda
(from PC World) it was in the 30 pound price area.

Install it and via the Bios remove the onboard vga functions, i.e., disable
it. Reboot and go into graphic setup for your distro and check the settings,
then you will have to go into myth control panel and tell it to use Nvidia
driver. Having done all that and rebooted ajust settings using the Nvidia
control app... Sorted.

Vince