[mythtv-users] Laptop as a Front-End (HD)

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:43:21 UTC 2010

On 18 February 2010 20:58, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Dan Wilga
>> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

>>> Good point. This is MPEG2. It probably can't handle h.264 at that size (I
>>> haven't tried.)
>>
>> In answer to the original question, handling HD h.264 will probably be
>> difficult in most laptop hardware. However the new CrystalHD method
>> may work. Of course there is no support in mythtv for that yet, but it
>> should come eventually. XBMC apparently has support and can be used as
>> an approximation of a frontend.
>>
>> The point being that many laptops have a minipci-e slot, originally
>> designed for wireless cards, but capable of being pressed into use for
>> a crystal HD card. Of course unless you have two minipci-e slots (some
>> do, see a recent post by Jarod in the crystalHD thread), or some other
>> wireless solution, you'll be wired only. I don't care too much for
>> wireless frontends in any event, but it would be nice to try a laptop
>> with crystalHD and a 802.11N wireless setup.
>>
>> So I would be trying for a laptop with two minipci-e slots, wireless-n
>> and then hope for CrystalHD support in mythfrontend real soon now.
>
> Thanks for the responses so far.  I really appreciate the input.  I
> haven't been looking at whether or not the laptops have minipci-e
> slots or not, but I will have to check
>
> Just want to reiterate, though, that I'm considering the use of the
> laptop as an HD capable front-end as a "nice to have" feature, not a
> necessity.  Further, at least at this time most of my recordings are
> from the HDHR, so not being able to playback h.264 isn't a huge deal.
> This could change for me depending on "The Comcast Digital Transition"
> that is going on in my area now.
>
> Basically, I'm looking to find out if I need to go to the higher end
> of my budget to get a faster processor and/or NVidia graphics, or if I
> can get away with looking at the lower end, which mostly have a
> Pentium T4300/T4400 processor and the Intel graphics.
>
> Thanks again,
> John

If you're so minded I'd suggest trying to pick up a reconditioned Dell M1530

Very light aluminium shell.
Screen 15" with available up to 1920x1200 (you might have to hunt one
down with this resolution as they're rare)
BluRay writer built in option
NVIDIA 8600GT graphics so supports VDPAU which means HD is not a problem.
HDMI for both screen and surround sound output.

Don't know what they'd bring Stateside but I've seen them go here
(admittedly rarely) for about £400 (approx $600) with the wuxga
screen.