[mythtv-users] How to output to Standard TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 19 13:48:28 UTC 2010

On Friday 19 February 2010 02:38:45 am Gavin Whitehead wrote:

> 1) [re Brian Woods post] What's all this about "Myth systems like them
> much better than the ATI cards" ?  Can anyone enlighten me?  Or direct
> me to more information?

It has to do with the Linux drivers available for the cards. nVidia has better
drivers available for Linux than ATI does. nVidia also has cards that support
VDPAU.

It's not that people haven't been able to get results with ATI hardware, but
the consensus seems to be that nVidia video hardware will produce better
results, especially for HD, with much less hassle. I know you said you're not
looking for HD immediately, but you might as well buy a card that will do it
in the future.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Proprietary_Driver

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/NVidiaProprietaryDriver

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/NVidia_Cards