[mythtv-users] 0.22 database upgrade woes
DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Feb 21 04:09:30 UTC 2010
Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 09:08 PM, Dale Pontius wrote:
>> I tried to take the 0.22 plunge today.
>> I'm a Gentoo user, so I was well warned about the possibilities of full
>> or partial corruption. Of course I hoped for the best, and was of
>> course disappointed. I was flagged as having partial corruption.
>> So I followed all of the relevant instructions, dropped the database,
>> restored the provided blank database, then restored mine on top of it,
>> and of course backed it up.
>> Following this, I attempted 0.22 mythtv-setup. It upgraded my database,
>> saving a backup first. Then it launched into configuration, which I
>> expected, from the instructions.
>> When all is said and done, it has lost all of my recorded programs, my
>> old recorded programs, etc, etc. It's as if I had started completely
>> from scratch. Nor was there any warning that it was going to object to
>> the old content, or that it was throwing stuff away. I've also taken a
>> dump of the new database, and verified that indeed all of the old
>> content is gone.
>> I was prepared for the worst, so right now I'm on my way back to 0.21,
>> hoping that there's something I can do to make this work right, next
>> time. There is another Gentoo user who has made a script that attempts
>> to fix partial corruption, but it "knows" that it failed. I'm giving
>> feedback to the author, in case it can be improved.
>> Google hasn't been my friend on this one, but if there are any other
>> suggestions, I'm listening. I guess I can always give up and start
>> over, but I'd rather not.
> There's no possible way Myth can "object to the old content or ... throw
> stuff away." You didn't restore your database on top of the blank
> database--instead, you just upgraded the blank database.
> You need to do a partial restore of your database on top of the blank
> database. You also need to verify that doing so is successful. Use
> --verbose when doing the restore of the blank database and the partial
> restore of your database. Once both steps succeed, then upgrade your
I can certainly try it again, and at some point I plan to.
But aside from saying that I followed the instructions, my gzipped dumps
of mythconverg have been typically running in the 6-8 MB range. When I
ran mythtv-setup to convert the database, it first tucked a backup in
/media. That backup is 8.2 MB, consistent with the sizes I've been
seeing. I copied it to /tmp, gunzipped it, and looked at it with a text
editor. It has extensive tables for "oldrecorded" and "recorded", to
key on the two I looked at. That's the dump mythtv-setup made, not one
of my own. As stated in the directions, I also backed up the database
after following the partial restore instructions. That backup is also
8.2MB. Oddly enough, the 2 backups are not the same size - mine is
8280985 bytes and the mythtv-setup one is 8280967 bytes. I'm not sure
if that is significant. Nor do I know how large the blank database is.
Had I simply upgraded the blank database I would not have expected to
see my oldrecorded and recorded content in the automatic pre-upgrade backup.
I also backed the database up after running mythtv-setup and
mythfilldatabase. That backup is 2012169 bytes.
As I said, I can certainly try it again, but at this point I'll need to
find another decent gap in my recording schedule.
More information about the mythtv-users