[mythtv-users] Dual-boot database question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 21 19:36:07 UTC 2010

On 02/21/2010 11:13 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I suppose this is for Mike Dean - hope it's not too noobish.
>
> I have a dual-boot f10/f12 FE/BE box, with the intention to switch to
> f12 when I have it working acceptably.  Initially I transferred the
> f10 database to f12 using the backup and restore scripts, then did a
> mythtvsetup on f12.  That gave me two working but independent systems,
> with initially the same set of recordings.  Since then I've been
> trying without success to get the almost unused f12 system synced to
> the working recordings database from f10.
>
> I tried to use --partial_restore, f10 to f12, but it found a duplicate
> and failed.  I tried mysql TRUNCATE on the partial_restore tables,
> followed by --partial_restore, and apparently got success, but now no
> f10 recordings at all (new or old) visible to f12.  I also tried ON
> DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE - more reported success but no f10 recordings.
> hostnames are the same and everything is supposed to be accessible to
> all frontends.  I don't know quite what to try next.  Suggestions
> appreciated!  Ideally I'd like to be able to use either system with a
> shared DB, or easily keep them in sync.

A partial restore only works with the same database schema version.
Really the only supported way of getting the F10 DB to the F12 system is
to now--using what you learned when configuring it the first time--do a
full restore of the F10 DB after dropping the F12 DB and then upgrade
the F10 DB and configure it for the F12 system.  There should be very
little (if any) re-configuration required.

Other than that, you can try to manually import recordings using the
myth_find_orphans.pl and myth.rebuilddatabase.pl (legacy, unmaintained,
use-at-your-own-risk) scripts.  Doing so will likely require typing in
every single title, subtitle, description, starttime, duration, and will
leave missing data about the programs /and/ will also leave the
recording history incomplete (meaning those shows will be re-recorded
after deleting).

My recommendation is to drop the F12 DB and do a full restore of the F10
DB to the F12 system and upgrade it.

Mike