[mythtv-users] KDL52XBR9 display problems

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 03:30:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 12:39 -0800, seth isernhagen wrote:
>>> Hello Geniuses
>>>

>>> I'm trying to setup a sony KDL52XBR9 and I am having some problems
>>> figuring out what to put in the xorg.conf file.  The EDID didnt have
>>> the correct information and this resulted in the screen image being
>>> way larger than the monitor size. I have fixed this issue by adding
>>> these lines to xorg.conf:
>>>

>> My screen (a sumsung) was fine with a VGA cable, but when I switched to
>> HDMI, the image was 'bigger' than the screen too.
>>
>> There was a setting on the TV that displays HDMI input as actual size,
>> instead of making the image too big to fit (which it apparently a
>> feature ???)  It might be worth checking if this is your problem if you
>> are using HDMI.
>>

>> Rodd
>
> It's called Overscanning, and it was a feature back when analogue TV
> was prevalent, because the edges of the picture were often distorted.
> Overscanning allowed these flaws to be hidden.
>
> Now it's largely pointless and quite annoying.

Overscanning can be done away with on Sony TV's, possibly this one too:

On the Bravia I selected HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings >
Display Area

It was set to NORMAL
I changed it to FULL PIXEL

So go back to your original setup and try that,  you can then stop
futzing around with xorg.conf (hopefully).