[mythtv-users] USB dual channel IR blaster?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Feb 22 23:05:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 22:10 -0600, Tony Brummett wrote:
> I'm starting to gather parts to put together a new backend machine.
> One issue I'm having is figuring out what to do for IR blasters.  I
> need to be able to control two identical set-top-boxes, and they only
> understand one set of IR codes, so I need two independently
> addressable IR blasters.  My current setup uses a couple of serial
> blasters with two instances of the related kernel modules and lirc
> daemons.  I'd keep using that kind of set up, except that it seems
> that modern-ish motherboards only have one serial port anymore.
>
> I have a usb-based MCE remote (this one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002)
> currently hooked up to a frontend.  The receiver part works great, but
> I can't get either of the two blaster parts to do anything.  It shows
> up in the syslog as a "Topseed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared
> Transceiver"
>
> Does anyone have an example of a usb-based transceiver where both
> blasters actually work?  I guess the other option is a PCIe serial
> port add on card.

Tony,

Try the following:

run 'lsusb' to find out the ID of the blaster.  In my case, I get:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 147a:e03c Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc.

Note the '147a' and the 'e03c'

Next, run 'modinfo lirc_mce'

This lists the usb ID's that the module will load for:

In the list I see (truncated):
alias:          usb:v147ApE03Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v147ApE03Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v147ApE018d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v147ApE017d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v147ApE016d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v147ApE015d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*

and you'll notice that the first one matches my usb ID for the blaster.

If you're isn't there then that might be your problem.  If it is then
speak up and I'll give you some ideas how to solve it.

Rodd