[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Dropouts

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 23 02:59:16 UTC 2010

Douglas Choma wrote:
> On 2/18/10 2:30 PM, greg wrote:
>> Douglas Choma wrote:

>>> Thanks Greg,
>>>
>>> Are you running any patches against trunk?  I noticed the wiki still
>>> mentions "recommended" patches, which I've applied.  It sounds like
>>> I might just need to purge everything and do a clean build.
>>>
>>> Which version of the v4l-dvb drivers are you working with?
>>>

>> No, I have don't have any patches installed ..Since I moved to Ubuntu
>> 9.10 the driver just works...
>
> Anybody have advice for other things to try debugging?  This is
> driving me nuts.  :-(
>
> I did a clean build on both the backend and the frontend from trunk,
> which seems to have cured the segfaults on my frontend.  But I still
> get the audio errors when I change channels on LiveTV.  The video
> changes fine, but the audio is missing after a channel change.  If I
> exit LiveTV and go back, everything tunes in without error.  So it's
> only switching from one stream to another that causes problems.
>
> I'm using the latest firmware, the most current driver, and myth trunk
> (23578).  This problem never occurred until the 0.22 branch went
> mainstream.  I had been using the 0.22 trunk with HD-PVR without issue.
>
> The frontend goes bezerk with these errors when I change channels...
> ###
> audio stream changed
> AO: Using resampler. From: 88200 to 192000
> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Not evaluating a further program_config_element
> as this construct is dubious at best.
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 1.5 is not allocated
> audio stream changed
> AO: Using resampler. From: 24000 to 192000
> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 3.0 is not allocated
> audio stream changed
> AO: Using resampler. From: 7350 to 192000
> Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(1) sr 192000 (reenc 0)
> Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]Error decoding AAC frame header.
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> [aac @ 0x7ff558ffeb20]channel element 0.4 is not allocated
> ###

I have been using an HD-PVR since it came out as well, but on Fedora. I
currently use compiled trunk packages from ATRPMS, which now is version
23405. I use the driver that comes with the kernel, I have not needed to
compile the driver in a while.  - my current kernel is
2.6.30.10-105.2.16.fc11.x86_64

I also have had trouble changing channels with live tv, I had to set a 5
second delay in my channel change script to get it to work. It turns
out, it takes that long for my set top box to "settle down" after
changing channels. I rarely use livetv, so I usually leave that delay
commented out.

- Richard