[mythtv-users] Question about mythrename.pl

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 23 05:55:03 UTC 2010

On 02/22/2010 11:11 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 02/20/2010 12:12 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>>> I just ran mythrename.pl to get the human-readable names to show
>>> up.  They are now @ /storage/recordings/show_names by default on my
>>> system, linked back to the proper Myth filenames.  If I delete a
>>> show after I watch it, will the symlink get deleted as well, or will
>>> I have to manually go in and remove them?  Not a big deal if I do,
>>> just wondering what to expect.
>> mythrename.pl deletes (all) the symlinks under the view directory
>> (/storage/recordings/show_names) each time it runs.
>>
>> Perhaps of interest:
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23474
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23479
>>
>> You should be able to download the new mythlink.pl and use it with
>> MythTV 0.22, if you'd like.
>>
> Just out of curiosity, since that was in changeset 23479, and I'm
> running 23565 from the Mythbuntu auto-builds, shouldn't I have
> mythllink.pl already?  I don't see it on my system anywhere.  I can
> download it if its not there.  Is there a Wiki page for it yet?  I see
> from the description that it can be used in the new event-driven
> mechanism of the backend (which I suppose I should start getting
> familar with ;-) ).

It's only in trunk.  0.22-fixes still has mythrename.pl.  I'm sure the
*buntu packagers will need to update their packaging scripts to provide
mythlink.pl.  So, assuming you're using trunk, you're just using the old
(dead) mythrename.pl that was on your system from a previous install.

As far as documentation, it's exactly like mythrename.pl, except for the
name (mythlink.pl) and it supports --chanid and --starttime or
--filename to specify that it should only create a link for a specific
recording.  And, --help still works.

Mike