[mythtv-users] Converting MBE to SBE, tuners and video sources, HDHomerun

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Feb 23 16:24:36 UTC 2010

On 2/23/2010 09:18, j2u4 j2u4 wrote:
> I recently added a new Master backend (MBE) and converted the old one
> to a slave. This went pretty smoothly, except that both thought they
> had video sources, and instead of there being only 2 tuners (from a
> network-connected HDHomerun) there were now 5 (?).
>
> So, from http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3 I saw
> that I should delete video sources on the Slave Backend (SBE), so I
> did. But then system status showed that there was no guide data. I
> also deleted all capture cards on the SBE, but this didn't seem to
> take. 5 cards are still listed. There should be only 2.
>
> What's the best way to fix this? I'd prefer not to wipe out the SBE
> and start over -- it has some keybindings and other things configured.

The only thing necessary to switch from one MBE to another is to change
the IP address of the master backend in mythtv-setup, and restart all
backends.  If you're moving tuner cards around, delete them from the
originating BE, add them to the destination BE, re-attach the sources to
their inputs, and restart all backends.  If you're concerned about such
things, you may want to delete all tuners, and re-add them to reset the
tuner numbering.  Neither of these operations should take more than a
couple minutes.