[mythtv-users] Revo 1600 looks even better now

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 23 19:44:32 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 12:26:12 pm Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article
> <51058d551002230612k3d1cad37rf5875e599b7d93c2 at mail.gmail.com>, Greg
>
> Oliver wrote:
> > The 1600 has a white power light..  Only light on the machine - I
> > covered it with electrical tape :)
>
> My R3600s have -
> 1) A sodding bright power light. I've put tape over it, but the light
> shines out of the SD slot and various other holes and cracks in the
> case.
> 2) An ethernet activity LED.
> 3) An LED on the power supply.
>
> I'm going to disconnect (or seriously dim) the power LED, nobble the
> ethernet LED, and tape over the power LED.
>
> Don't these guys realise that light pollution is as bad as noise
> pollution?

They want the thing to grab your attention on the store shelf, where it will
appear to be "better" than the less well-illuminated competing products.

Industrial design is a world unto itself, which Apple figured out long ago, but
most other makers screw up totally.

A lot of consumer computing products are aimed at adolescent gamers, witness
how many video cards feature scantily-clad young ladies.